Aims and Objectives of IASP
- To foster and encourage research of pain mechanisms and pain syndromes and to help improve the management of patients with acute and chronic pain by bringing together basic scientists, physicians, and other health professionals of various disciplines and backgrounds who have interest in pain research and management.
- To promote education and training in the field of pain.
- To promote and facilitate the dissemination of new information in the field of pain, including sponsorship of a journal, PAIN.
- To promote and sponsor a triennial World Congress of the Association and such other meetings as may be useful or desirable for the advancement of the purposes of IASP.
- To encourage formation of national associations for the study and treatment of pain.
- To encourage the adoption of a uniform classification, nomenclature, and definition regarding pain and pain syndromes.
- To encourage the development of a national and international data bank and to encourage the development of a uniform records system with respect to information relating to pain mechanisms, syndromes, and management.
- To inform the general public of results and implications of current research in the area.
- To advise international, national, and regional agencies of standards relating to the use of drugs, appliances, and other procedures in the therapy of pain.
- To engage in such other activities as may be incidental to, or in furtherance of, the aforementioned purposes.